Aging causes the breasts to sag and droop, which can be a major concern for many women. The different stages of life such as aging, pregnancy, breastfeeding and menopause directly or indirectly affect the skin and muscles around the breasts, causing them to sag. You can’t stop your body from aging and or fight the effects of gravity. However, adopting some healthy habits can help resolve saggy breasts by keeping the supporting tissues around them as firm as possible.
- Exercise: Incorporate exercises into your daily routine, especially those that target the breast tissues and pectoral muscles. According to an article from www.health.com, strengthening the pectoral muscles as well as the muscles of the back, shoulders, and core, could help reduce the appearance of sagging by enhancing overall tone and posture. Exercises that can help include the pushup, chest press, chest pull, arm raise and dumbbell fly. It’s also important to maintain a healthy, stable weight to prevent changes in breast appearance associated with extreme weight gain and loss.
- Healthy eating: Experts say that eating antioxidant foods can keep your skin supple and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and sagging. It’s also necessary to follow a nutrient-rich diet to maintain the firmness of the breasts. Including plenty of fruit, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins in your diet is necessary to avoid nutritional deficiencies and keep your body healthy.
- Wear a bra that fits well: Wearing a bra that fits properly is another important measure to prevent sagging. A supportive bra helps keep the breasts in place.
- Sleeping position: If you sleep on your side, it may increase the chances of breast sag overtime. According to Health, lying on your back is a better idea, because the weight of your breasts is fully supported on your chest, which may help retain their perkiness and also reduce signs of aging.
- Quit smoking: A 2008 study published in Aesthetic Surgery found that women who smoked were more likely to experience breast droopiness after pregnancy. This is because smoking can cause collagen to break down, which in turn, increases risks of sagging.
- Regular massage: Regular massage could be an effective way to maintain the firmness of the breasts and prevent sagging. Massaging the breasts for 15 minutes in upward motion will improve blood circulation and strengthen the connective muscles and tissues, which can prevent sagging and improve the appearance of the breasts.
If these strategies don’t work to address sagging, breast lift surgery could provide the solution. Performed by skilled plastic surgeons, a scarless breast lift in NYC can raise drooping breasts and provide immediate skin tightening effects, resulting in an attractive youthful-looking appearance.