Staying fit with proper diet and exercise is one of the best ways to counter the negative effects of aging on the body and mind. According to Everyday Health, a study from Taiwan found that as little as 15 minutes of exercise a day could increase a person’s life span by as much as three years.
The most important thing is to stay active throughout the day. Avoid sitting and standing for too long and minimize idleness. Here are some exercises and activities that can counter the impact of aging.
- When it comes to exercise, every little bit counts. Seniors don’t have to run marathon to stay fit. Take short walks whenever you can. Exercise can also improve your mental health. One study found that people over 65 who exercise for 15 minutes three times a week reduced their risk for dementia by one-third.
- One of the biggest threats to senior health is falling. So it is very important to be able to maintain your balance and stability by doing balance exercises. Tai chi and yoga can improve balance and prevent falls.
- Yoga can increase strength and flexibility and reduce systolic blood pressure. This modality involves a series of poses, stretches, controlled breathing, and meditation. Making it a part of your daily routine can improve balance, endurance, and overall fitness.
- Swelling in the legs, calves, and feet is a common concern among older adults. Exercises targeting the legs and calves can improve blood circulation and help fluid move more easily through the body.
- Older people who have been ill or hospitalized also need to get back to physical activity as soon as their condition permits. Patients who exercise and stroll around can reduce the length of their hospital stay. After a hospital stay, running can help keep the brain active and prevent memory loss, say experts.
- Osteoporosis or thinning of bones is also common among the senior health concerns. It can also lead to hip fractures, falls, and other serious injuries. Weight-bearing exercises can reduce bone loss.
The key to slowing the aging process is to stay active, both physically and mentally. Exercise should be balanced with a proper diet. Ensure that you get timely and proper medical attention for any issues you have. Maintain healthy social relationships. A combination of all these measures will definitely keep you feeling and looking younger.