Maintaining a nutritious diet prior and after your plastic surgery can speed recovery and improve your immune system. A body fortified with more nutrients will be better prepared to handle surgery and speed up healing and recovery. Certain foods can minimize digestive problems caused by antibiotics and prevent constipation caused by pain medications. After the surgery, try to eat, even if you are not hungry as it can repair your tissues rapidly.
Here are some foods to include in your diet before and after surgery:
- High fiber foods: Fiber foods play a major role in preventing constipation, which is a common problem that occurs after surgery. Consider adding high fiber foods such as whole grain breads, whole grains (corn, oatmeal, and other grains), fruits, vegetables and cereal to your diet. This is will you obtain fiber in a more natural way and prevent constipation problems.
- Antioxidants: Getting essential nutrients such as vitamins and antioxidants is essential for the normal functioning of the human body. Antioxidants also play an important role in recovery from surgery. Boost your antioxidant intake after surgery by eating deeply colored fruits like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, and pomegranates.
- Hydration: Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated helps in the detoxification process by flushing away toxins and converting fat soluble nutrients into water soluble nutrients. This is very important since medications would be processed through the liver and staying hydrated before and after surgery is vital to clear these substances from the body.
- Lean protein: Focus on lean protein because the protein called collagen plays an important role in knitting tissue back together. This protein is actually found abundantly in the body, but after surgery the demand for protein is much higher if you have incisions to repair. Increase intake of lean meats such as chicken, turkey, and pork. Fish is also an excellent source of lean protein. Avoid red meat as it has high levels of saturated fat that can cause constipation.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables: Both contain nutrients and fiber, which are essential to healing during your recovery from surgery. Include a lot of citrus fruits that have a good amount vitamin C, a water-soluble vitamin that helps cross-link collagen. Excellent sources of vitamin C include guava, kale, citrus fruit and kiwi fruit. Vegetables that can boost immune health include Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower. While, having fresh fruits and vegetables.
Foods that should be avoided before/after plastic surgery are:
- Margarine, deep fried foods and foods with trans-fat and saturated fat.
- Refined flours, sugars, white rice and foods high on glycemic index and eliminate the unhealthy “white” carbs.
- All refined and processed foods.