Summer is round the corner and if you are looking to show off toned, attractive legs in your shorts or bikini, exercises can help. Routine exercises, cardio and a proper diet can help you achieve perfect, shapely legs. These strategies will not only make you look better, but will also improve your health by increasing your core strength and heart rate. You need to target all areas of your legs – the thighs, knees and calves. When you start exercising, begin slowly and do a few repetitions, instead of trying to do more at a fast pace.
The aim should be to raise metabolism by increasing muscle on the leg. Certain exercises can burn more calories and build muscle. Before you begin with exercise, start with a lower body warm up routine. This will help prepare your muscles, tendons and joints and improve circulation and metabolism. Here are some exercises that can help slim your legs:
- Squats: Stand with your feet about shoulder width apart and lower yourself until your thighs are parallel to the floor as if sitting down on a chair and then come back to standing position.
- Diamond Kicks: Lie on your back with your arms by side. Raise your leg towards the ceiling, bend the knees and bring the soles of the feet together. Extend the legs out to the sides and then squeeze the inner thighs to bring them together.
- Walking Lunges: Stand upright with feet together and step forward with one leg. Lower your hips by bending your knees that nearly touches the ground while the other knee should be directly over the ankle. Drive through the heel of your lead foot and extend both knees to raise yourself back up. Step forward with your front foot, repeating the lunges.
- Side Leg Lifts: Lie on your side with your legs straight. Bring one leg up, while keeping it straight, and drop it down slow. Point your toe towards the ceiling to really separate your thighs.
- Wall Sits: Lay your back towards the wall and keep your legs at 90 degrees – hold for as long as you can.
- Calf Raises: These help to shape the calves. Place your toes on a block and raise your heels until your calves are fully tensed. Then slowly lower the heel to return to the starting position.
As women tend to have more fat on legs and butts due to hormonal reasons, cardio is important to tone the legs. Diet is also important – you have to stick to natural, wholesome foods in sensible portion sizes. Eat until you are full not over-full. Avoid sugary drinks and drink plenty of water throughout the day.