Winter is approaching and to stay healthy, you need to ensure that your immune system is in top condition. Unlike the other seasons, it is more challenging to stay fit in winter as it is a cold and flu season too. Here are some tips that can help you and your family stay fit and healthy this winter:
- Staying active during winter is vital for our health and wellbeing. If you are in good health, you can plan a safe cold-weather workout. On the other hand, you can also maintain your fitness routine by exercising indoors. Do warm ups as your joints will take more time to loosen up in the cold weather.
- Eating healthy is very important, so watch your diet. Make sure that your diet includes winter fruit and vegetables rich in vitamins and minerals such as beetroot, kiwi fruit, mandarins, bananas, sweet potato, green leafy vegetables, garlic, and ginger.
- Weight management is more of a challenge during this season. This is the time when many people gain extra weight due to lack of proper exercise and unhealthy diet choices. Balanced diet and regular exercise can help maintain your weight.
- It is very important to boost your immunity power to fight common seasonal ailments. A diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat can keep your immune system strong and healthy. Other healthy strategies: don’t smoke, drink only in moderation, get enough sleep, and exercise regularly.
- Good hygiene practices can keep common viruses at bay. Wash or sanitize your hands and avoid contact with a person who has a cold or flu. See that household surfaces are clean.
- The cold weather may not make you thirsty, but see that you drink enough water and stay hydrated. Warm drinks and soups are great choices in winter.
- Dry, itchy skin, chill blains, and eczema are common complaints during this season. Try using rich moisturizers to keep the skin moist and supple. Taking supplements containing vitamin E or garlic can improve blood circulation and increase the flow of blood and nutrients to the skin.
- Getting enough sleep is very important to boost the immune system and to fight off colds. Plan your diet accordingly and stay physically active to promote good sleep.
If you intend to spend some time outdoors, take measures to protect your head, hands and feet to prevent frostbite. Wear gloves and proper shoes and protect your head with a hat or scarf.