Fat transfer is now a widely used technique in both aesthetic and reconstructive procedures. This natural solution involves harvesting excess fat from one area of the patient’s body and using it to improve another area that needs enhancement. While the fat removed during body contouring cannot be transferred from one person to another, it can be moved to another area of the patient’s body. Fat transfer in NYC can smooth out wrinkles and improve areas that loose volume with aging, by transferring fat from one part of your body to another. It is a safe, well tolerated procedure that produces natural-looking results if performed by expert plastic surgeons.
Liposuction is used for fat harvesting from various parts of our body where fat is in abundance. Common donor sites from which fat can be taken include the abdomen, thighs, and hips and commonly grafted, or injected, areas include the hands, face (including the lips), depressions in the skin (following liposuction and scarring) and the breast and buttock (for augmentation). Here are three cosmetic surgical procedures that use fat grafting:
- Buttock augmentation with fat grafting: An increasingly popular buttock augmentation procedure, Brazilian butt lift (BBL) surgery uses the patient’s fat to provide a more curvaceous buttock without the use of an implant. Leading NYC plastic surgeons provide BBL under local anesthesia (BBLULA), an ideal option for women who are looking for a small to moderate size improvement. Here, the amount of fat that is injected to the buttocks is limited when compared to when done under general anesthesia. As it is performed under local anesthesia, recuperation time is short. Fat transfer butt lift surgery offers two benefits: removal of excess fat from problem areas and enhancement of buttocks that have volume deficiencies or other imperfections. Other benefits include: reduces the chance of allergic reactions caused by insertion of foreign materials; natural, long lasting results, and short down time.
- Breast augmentation with implants and fat grafting: If you desire a modest increase in breast size then you can consider breast augmentation in Manhattan, NYC with implants. But some women do not have enough tissue to hold the implant. In such cases, they can rely on composite breast augmentation which is a combination treatment. This procedure involves injecting autologous fat over the implant and offers the advantages of improved projection, better cleavage and a softer, natural look. However, if you have poor skin, sagging breasts, and want a significant increase in breast size, you may not benefit from fat transfer for breast augmentation.
- Facial fat transfer: If you are looking for cheek or lip augmentation, fat transfer can be very helpful. Your lips and cheeks can be augmented with your own fat tissue.
There are additional criteria that you need to meet to be a good candidate for fat transfer:
- Must have sufficient fat in the donor sites
- Must be in good health
- Should not have any circulation problems from a medical condition
- Do not smoke, or are prepared to quit smoking for several weeks prior to and after the procedure
- Recognize both the rewards and possible risks of the procedure
- Are not currently pregnant or nursing
- Should have a positive attitude and realistic expectations
It is also important for patients who are considering fat transfer to understand that more than one session of fat transfer may be required for some in order to achieve full correction of contour because not all of the injected fat cells will survive. So expecting drop off of some of the fat, an experienced surgeon will probably opt to overfill the treated areas mainly buttocks with fat by a certain percentage.
After reviewing your medical history, conducting a physical exam, and identifying your desired outcome for the procedure your plastic surgeon will discuss the specifics of the fat transfer procedure and what you can expect in greater detail, including preparation, the day of the procedure, and recovery, along with answering any remaining questions you may have.
The results of the procedure will depend on the plastic surgeon’s experience and expertise. A skilled and well trained New York City plastic surgeon who is expert in both liposuction and fat grafting can provide attractive outcomes by achieving the right balance between fat removal and addition.