Body contouring in NYC is in popular demand, as it helps men and women to improve their appearance considerably. From liposuction to Brazilian Butt Lift, millions of people are opting for different plastic surgery procedures to contour specific body parts. But before making any decision to undergo such an aesthetic procedure, it’s very important that you have a clear understanding about the procedure and why it’s done.
Here are some important considerations:
- Find a good plastic surgeon: The very first step when deciding to undergo a body contouring procedure is to find the right plastic surgeon, if you are looking for optimal results. You need to understand the traits of a good plastic surgeon – make sure that the surgeon you approach is qualified and experienced, and has proven his/her proficiency in performing your chosen aesthetic procedure. You must have a clear idea about your cosmetic goals and be able to convey this to your plastic surgeon. For that, you can prepare a set of questions to ask him/her: the number of successful procedures the surgeon has performed, the techniques used, and also request to view the before and after photos of former patients. This will help you be assured that you have made the right choice. Finalize your decision regarding the surgeon, only if you find that he/she can be trusted and you feel comfortable with.
- Do a detailed research on the procedure: Perform a thorough research on the particular procedure you are looking for. Read articles and other publications on the same and search online. Be specific about what you would like to change or improve so that you can take a wise decision regarding what procedure can work on you. Most importantly, don’t go for additional plastic surgery procedures (which your spouse or friend may want you to do) that you’re not comfortable with. Understand that you cannot expect the same results that a celebrity or your friend has achieved, because the results of a procedure would depend on various individual considerations.
- Choose an accredited plastic surgery practice: Make sure that your procedure is performed in a good hospital or an outpatient surgery center or a plastic surgery practice that is accredited by a recognized national certifying agency such as the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF), Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Institute for Medical Quality, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organization, State-licensed or Medicare-certified. Such practices would have all the features necessary for a safe surgical environment in the operating room.
- Determining your candidature for the procedure: After finalizing the procedure, you should also determine your candidature for the procedure, because not every aesthetic procedure is ideal for everyone. You may be a good candidate for different body contouring procedures if you’re healthy, have reasonable expectations, and know the risks of the procedure you’re considering. If you have any serious illness or health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, a bleeding disorder, heart disease, or depression, you might be advised to stay away from aesthetic procedures. Moreover, for women considering a cosmetic procedure such as tummy tuck in NYC or a breast procedure, it’s better to wait until they are done having children and breastfeeding. This is because during pregnancy the abdominal wall and skin stretches out and you may lose the results achieved. To be an ideal candidate, your plastic surgeon would advise you to consider certain factors such as:
- Have an ideal BMI. A procedure would provide optimal results for healthy adults within 30% of their ideal weight. Moreover, it is important that body weight has remained stable for at least six months.
- Have good skin tone with only mild to moderate laxity.
- Quit smoking for at least two to four weeks after surgery.
- Stop consuming certain medications such as blood thinners.
- Limit alcohol consumption prior to and after the procedure.
- Have realistic expectations, a positive outlook and specific body contouring goals.
- Adopt and follow a healthy lifestyle
- Have a clear view regarding the complications and risks associated with the procedure: Each procedure, be it invasive or non-invasive, has risks associated with it, and it’s important to ask your plastic surgeon about the benefits and risks associated with your procedure. The most serious complications of surgery usually have to do with excessive blood loss, infection, or adverse reactions to general anesthesia. What you have to understand is that risks vary widely from patient to patient and from one procedure to another. There are some procedures that are riskier than others, although recent advances in plastic surgery continue to make complications more and more unlikely.
- Plan your time: You should be sure that the surgery and recovery schedule fits your schedule. Check your calendar and see if you have enough time to take rest after your body contouring procedure. This is very important or else it can ruin your recovery period and results. So plan your procedure time carefully.
Do your research well, when considering body contouring in NYC. Choosing an AAAASF-accredited practice is important as this would ensure adherence to strict national standards for equipment, operating room safety, personnel and surgeon credentials.