More and more men and women are opting to have body contouring in NYC to improve their appearance. Advancements in technology are helping them achieve the transformation they always dreamt about with minimal surgical trauma and short downtime. However, choosing the right surgeon is important for safe treatment and optimal outcomes. If you are planning to have an aesthetic procedure, you need to know about the traits to look for in a potential plastic surgeon. While this is the case, not all people are aware of what to look for in a good plastic surgeon. Here are the basic signs and traits to look for that can help you decide if a plastic surgeon is good enough for the particular procedure you are considering:
- The plastic surgeon is experienced and well-trained in the procedure: While considering a cosmetic procedure, make sure that the surgeon you choose is well-qualified, that is, he or she should have the background, skills and experience to deliver a safe and effective procedure. Importantly, the surgeon should be experienced and skilled in performing the procedure you want. The surgeon should have extensive training with the most current aesthetic techniques. Body contouring is performed using different techniques and only a specialist who is skilled in these techniques can produce good results. Schedule a consultation and discuss your aesthetic goals so that the surgeon can determine which would be the best option for you.
- Honesty: One of the important attributes to look for in a plastic surgeon is transparency and honesty. The plastic surgeon should be trustworthy and should open up about his expertise in the particular procedure (such as providing evidence of how many times they’ve performed it or and how it has worked out) patient is looking for. This will build trust in patients and also lead to better outcomes. According to the article in Readers Digest, “some doctors are so afraid of negative online reviews or of making a patient upset that they’ll allow the patient to bully them into doing something they don’t feel is best.” An honest surgeon who truly cares about the patient will be frank about anything in the patient’s best interests.
- Comfort level: Our bodies are generally good at making judgments of situations and people. Make sure you are comfortable discussing your concerns with the plastic surgeon you approach. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t do it.
- Not pressurizing: A good plastic surgeon won’t force or pressurize patients into cosmetic surgery before they are ready. Even if the procedure is performed under proper guidance, complications are a possibility. So choose a surgeon who will explain the benefits as well as risks of the surgery to you, including the potential complications. This will help you take an informed decision.
- Easily accessible: Look for a plastic surgeon to whom you can connect to conveniently. As a Readers Digest article points out, physicians offer alternate scheduling (like weekend hours), call lines, online test results, and e-mail access to help patients get the care they need when they need it.
- See if your surgeon updates his/her skills: Cosmetic surgery is a constantly changing field with new information, research, technology, and treatments emerging all the time. Good plastic surgeons will be willing to learn more about newer techniques and update their skills. Experts also train other physicians in innovative surgical techniques.
A good plastic surgeon would also respect the ethical principles in plastic surgery. According to a Northwestern Now News story, the four principles of medical ethics are respect for autonomy of the patient, beneficence or promoting what is best for the patient, nonmaleficence, also known as “do no harm”, and justice. They will also adhere to the guidelines for posting content on social media.
When choosing a NYC plastic surgeon, do your research well. You should educate yourself about patient safety and also learn how to make a smart choice about the facility where the procedure will be performed. If you are considering body contouring in NYC, choose an AAAASF-accredited practice. This would ensure adherence to strict national standards for equipment, operating room safety, personnel and surgeon credentials.