You spend a lot of time at your workplace and so it’s very important to create and promote a healthy atmosphere there. Stress can not only affect your performance, but also lead to several health conditions such as depression, hypertension, diabetes and so on. With the rising healthcare costs and health issues, promoting wellness and staying healthy at work can be beneficial for workers as well as businesses. Try to introduce exciting wellness programs and activities at your workspace.
Below are some simple ways in which you can help improve wellness.
- Healthy eating: Due to your busy schedule, you may grab quick and easy meals as an option. But this can work against your health and make you obese. This is because these foods often contain high levels of fat, sodium and sugar. So, to avoid these unhealthy food habits, try to consume healthy foods. Employers can make a nutritionist visit the workplace for a seminar regarding healthy eating that will create awareness in the employees.
- Exercise and fitness: To maintain fitness, exercise is great option. By exercising, you can relieve stress and improve your overall health. Either hit a gym near your workplace or make a purposeful exercise regime within the workspace to promote movement while working. Use of stairs instead of lifts and elevators, using desk chairs that promote movement and core strength, encouraging everyone to get up and walk while on conference calls, or hosting walking meetings rather than booking the conference room are great ways to promote movement within the workspace.
- Be active: A healthy mind and body will always have a big effect on preventing illness at work. Indulge more in physical activity, and this is possible in offices where there are conveniences such as bike racks and places for people to freshen up after exercise. These little changes in the workspace can have a huge effect.
- Relieve stress and ensure good mental health: Unmanaged stress can lead to heart diseases, high blood pressure, and sleep trouble. If these occur at the workplace, it can lead to employee inefficiency, job dissatisfaction, and absence from work for related health conditions. You can relieve stress by taking some leisure time and enjoying it, which is necessary for your personal heath. A few minutes of day dreaming, taking several breaks a day to go for a walk, chatting with a co-worker, just getting outside for a breath of fresh air, or contributing to a creative journal at your workspace would provide some relief from the everyday pressure and stress of your job.
- Educate people: Educate people about the importance of health in the workspace. By holding information sessions, hosting on-site health screenings, or providing medical services in the workplace, providing flu shots and more, employers can increase the office staff’s health-related knowledge. Try to keep these sessions entertaining but informative so that everyone would be interested in attending them and gaining information. You have endless options that start from healthy eating to measures to prevent stress and strain.
The above-mentioned steps can help promote good health and wellness in your workspace. It’s not just for an individual; these simple ways can be adopted by the entire team in an office. Healthy and happy employees translate to higher efficiency and higher profit margins.