Making regular physical activity a part of your daily routine is essential to stay healthy and one activity that comes with amazing benefits is walking. Let’s see what this simple activity can do for your overall health.
- If you are on a weight loss mission and looking for a way to put a halt to your cravings for chocolate, you may be surprised to hear that just a 15-minute walk can help. Studies from the University of Exeter report that it might even reduce the amount of chocolate people tend to have when they’re stressed.
- Obesity-promoting genes in your body influence your weight. Harvard researchers observed 32 obesity-promoting genes in more than 12,000 people and reported that the effects of these genes on body weight were cut in half for those who walked briskly for about an hour daily.
- Are you looking to find a solution for your arthritis-related pain? Then don’t wait any longer to make walking a part of your daily routine. Walking strengthens the muscles and protect the joints. Walking five to six miles a week can prevent arthritis from forming in the first place, say experts.
- An American Cancer Society study that studied the effects of walking on breast cancer risks found that women who walked seven or more hours a week had a 14% lower risk of developing the disease compared to those who walked three hours or less.
- Improved immune function protects you from conditions like cold and flu. Walking boosts your immune function too. A study that involved 1,000 men and women found that participants who walked 20 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week had 43% fewer sick days. Those who exercised once a week or less had a greater chance of fall catching cold and flu. The walking group also had only milder symptoms and the illness lasted for only a shorter duration if they fell ill.
Other benefits of walking include
- Strengthens your heart
- Lowers risk of many diseases
- Tones the body
- Boosts vitamin D
- Curbs diabetes
- Boosts memory
- Improves mental well-being
So instead of thinking of it as a tiresome task, find ways to make walking a pleasurable activity. Walk with a companion, walk in the park and enjoy the sights and sounds of nature. Make the best use of this gentle, low-impact exercise that’s easy and enjoy the amazing benefits that it offers.