More and more people are opting to have cosmetic surgical procedures to get rid of stubborn fat and achieve a slimmer, well-toned figure. However, preparing for the treatment is an important step – one which most people are not aware about. If you are planning to have an aesthetic surgical procedure, you need to be prepared physically and emotionally, and also be ready to make some lifestyle changes if necessary. Taking the right steps can help recovery and outcomes. Let’s look at what constitutes ‘proper preparation’.
- Thorough understanding: First, you should be well aware of what is involved in the treatment. Being well-informed about the scope of the procedure, risks involved and recovery period is important. You should also have realistic expectations about the results.
- Knowledge about provider credentials and experience: Be sure that the cosmetic surgeon you choose has the required credentials and has the necessary training and qualifications to perform the procedure, and sufficient experience in it too. It’s also important that the treatment is administered in a state licensed accredited facility.
- Get cleared: It’s necessary that the surgeon knows your medical history. This will help determine if you are fit for the treatment. If you are taking any medication, tell your surgeon about it. Make sure that all recommended labs tests are done. Based on your age, current health conditions and the type of procedure, tests recommended would include blood tests, ECG, chest x-ray, chemistry panel, urinalysis, and more.
- Know about the physical factors that can affect outcomes: Some lifestyle factors can weaken the body’s ability to heal after surgery. Weight fluctuations, intake of drugs or vitamin supplements, exercise frequency, nutritional habits, smoking habits, sun exposure, overall stress level, alcohol consumption, and sleep patterns are factors that impact the healing process. So have a check at these areas once you approach a procedure.
- Awareness about aftercare: Once the procedure is over, proper aftercare is important to speed up recovery, avoid complications and achieve optimal results.
- Keep your home ready: Make sure that your home is post-operative ready well before the day of the treatment. This will ensure that your recovery is comfortable.
Whether it’s a surgical procedure such as tummy tuck or breast enhancement or minimally invasive liposuction treatment, you should be physically and emotionally well prepared. If you smoke, stop well in advance of surgery. Also, avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as these can increase bleeding.