Summer is that time of the year when everyone wants to hit the beach and also enjoy other outdoor activities. Losing extra weight and getting into shape will make you look your best on the beach and boost your confidence and self-esteem. So here are some tips to get fit for summer.
- Chart out a Proper Workout Plan: Charting out a proper workout program along with tracking and progression is one of the best ways to initiate your fitness plan. Begin with a baseline fitness test that include moves that measure the strength of all of your major muscles. Track things like the number of pushups or lunges you can do, how long you can hold a plunk, etc. This will help you to figure out your strength and endurance.
- Set a Good Diet Plan: Along with proper workout, you need to have a good diet plan. It is said that people who eat their biggest meals early in the day shed more weight than those who eat the same number of calories with a majority of them later in the day. So make sure to have a good breakfast and a light dinner. Include the right amount of protein and fat to boost energy and feel satiated.
- Do Some Stretches Daily: Try to include yoga in your daily routine to keep your mind and body calm. Stretching is an activity that is often overlooked but it is important to do some stretching before and after a workout. As we age, that elasticity of the muscles decline and this is accelerated by sports that can overuse and overwork muscles through repetitive motion. This can lead to aches, and muscles injuries. Doing some stretches before and after the workout can help prevent muscle injury or aches.
- Pack your own Mid-Day Meal: If you are working, make sure to cut back on eating out. Eating lunch out can make it difficult to lose weight. Instead, pack your own mid-day meal. Good options to include are quinoa, whole wheat couscous, or short grain brown rice with veggies and protein.
- Drink Coffee before your Workout: Having coffee before work can add some extra oomph to your workout. Research shows that coffee protects your body from the harmful effects of the sun.
- HIT: High Intensity workouts help burn a load of calories by keeping your metabolic rate high.
- Get Enough Sleep: Too little sleep leads to 50-percent higher carb cravings and the more tired you feel, the stronger those cravings are because your body is literally trying to get more energy. So make sure to take enough rest for seven to eight hours of sleep to reduce your cravings.
- Prioritize Protein: Protein intake is a priority because it helps your muscles to recover after a hard workout. Twenty-five grams is the amount required to help your muscles repair and build. The addition of lean muscle mass will ultimately help you burn more calories all day long. Greek yogurt is an excellent food that is packed with protein and calcium. The probiotic bacteria in most yogurts help keep your digestive system healthy and prevent gas, bloating and constipation.
- Dance a Little: Zumba is an intense workout. It helps push your limits and burns extra fat with bug steps, lunges, slides, kicks etc which can boost your heart rate.
- Stay Hydrated: Staying hydrated is essential to make your exercise easier. Drinking 2 glasses of water before eating can help minimize consumption of calories.
- Skip the Chips: If you want to shed weight, stay away from chips. Instead of chips, choose healthy snacks. Try crunchy veggies like bell peppers, carrots, cucumber etc with salsa or guacamole.
Maintaining a healthy diet and good workout routine will help you get that summer body and look good for your holiday.