Hypertension or high blood pressure increases risks of medical conditions such as heart attack, kidney failure. According to a Harvard study, hypertension is responsible for more than 15% of deaths in the United States. Many people need to take medication to manage this chronic condition. Health experts say that some natural ways that can bring down blood pressure levels:
- Exercise can work wonders to manage many health conditions including blood pressure. Regular physical activity makes your heart stronger, which plays a significant role in lowering blood pressure. Fitness walks at a brisk pace is a good option.
- A healthy diet is crucial. People with high blood pressure need to lower their intake of sodium. Cut down on your salt intake whenever possible. Use spices, herbs, lemon, and salt-free seasoning blends to season your food. Avoid fatty foods and include more potassium-rich fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Stress would cause your heart rate to go up and lead to an increase in blood pressure as you breathe faster. Meditation, yoga and listening to music can lower stress. Ensure that you get enough sleep.
- Cut down on alcohol and smoking as these could cause your blood pressure to increase.
- Drink tea. As per a WebMD report, a study of Chinese tea drinkers has revealed that drinking as little as a half-cup of green or oolong tea per day may lower the risk of high blood pressure by nearly 50%.
- Aim to reach your ideal weight. Being overweight has been linked to hypertension.
According to the American Heart Association, lifestyle changes are crucial to reduce your blood pressure without the use of prescription medications. The AHA also says that many Americans have high blood pressure and don’t know it. So monitor your blood pressure and get regular health checkups.