It’s easy to gain weight in summer with all those barbeques, delicious foods from fairs, carnivals and truck festivals, and even ice-cold lemonade that packs nearly 100 calories. If you are on a weight loss plan, you may need to avoid these high calorie items that add on fat. If you are really looking to shed a few pounds, the best way is to maintain a balanced diet and exercise regularly. A balanced diet includes eating fresh fruit and vegetables and avoiding junk food. There are many fruits that are not just flavorful and healthy but also low in calories. Here is a list of fruits that can help you lose weight in summer:
- Apples: Apples are high in fiber and help you feel full. They increase the metabolic rate to help burn the fat. Being high in pectin, they help stop the cells of the body from absorbing fat and water. You can have apples either cooked or raw.
- Avocados: This calorie-dense fruit is grown contains fatty acids that speed up the process of converting fat into energy and boost the rate of metabolism. Some studies have found that eating avocados can increase feelings of fullness, decrease appetite, and improve cholesterol levels (www.healthline.com). Avocados can be used as a substitute for butter or margarine on bread and toast and also added to salads, smoothies, or dips.
- Bananas: This summer fruit is more calorie-dense than many other fruits. It is also nutrient-dense and rich in potassium, magnesium, manganese, fiber, numerous antioxidants, and vitamins A, B6, and C. It curbs your appetite, helps burn fat and boosts muscle development. Bananas can be enjoyed as a on-the-go snack or added to variety of dishes, either raw or cooked.
- Lemons: This fruit is great for the liver, the organ that helps burn fat. It makes the liver function more effectively. Spraying lemon or lime juice onto a salad can make it easier to cut back on sodium- or fat-loaded dressings.
- Plums: This summer seasonal fruit have a low glycemic index and is rich in nutrients like vitamins C and A, which make them a great option if you’re trying to lose weight.
- Peaches: This is one of the healthiest fruits to add to your weight loss low-calorie diet. Peaches have phenolic compounds that are known to have anti-obesity, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties.
- Strawberries: Filled with anti-oxidants and high on fibres, strawberries contain only 33 calories. They contain ellagic acid, which helps fight inflammation and restores normal functioning of weight reducing hormones which may be blocked due to chronic inflammation. It not only helps weight loss, but also boosts skin health and immunity.
- Watermelon: This fiber-rich summer fruit has very low carbohydrate content – just 55g per 100 g of fruit. Moreover, it has a very high water content (94%) and is a rich source of amino acids called arginine which helps burn fat. This fruit keeps you satiated for a long time.
Packed with vitamins, fiber, and other nutrients, fruits are nature’s ready-made snack and an essential part of a healthy diet. Including these seasonal fruits in your diet will go a long way in helping weight loss. Include regular exercise for quicker results.