Stress is one of the main reasons why people end up having certain diseases which affects overall wellbeing in the long run. Stressful situations related to work and family makes day-to-day life difficult. Do you know that including certain foods in your diet can help you to calm down and reduce stress level? Here is a list of the smart food options that experts recommend to relieve stress:
- Vitamins are important for healthy nerves and brain cells and deficiencies can affect your mental wellbeing. Avocados are reported to have the best stress-relieving B vitamins.
- Depression has been mostly linked to low levels of folic acid. Asparagus has mood-enhancing nutrients and is one of the best vegetables to boost folic acid levels.
- Your body also needs vitamin C and antioxidants to help repair and protect cells during stress. Blueberries are mighty stress-busters and best serve the purpose.
- Vitamins B2 and E are believed to bolster the immune system during times of stress. Health experts recommend taking a quarter cup of almonds each day to reduce stress levels.
- A glass of warm milk before bedtime can work wonders to soothe the nerves. Milk is high in vitamins B2 and B12, antioxidants, protein and calcium. The protein lactium has a calming effect as it effectively lowers blood pressure.
- Vitamin C lowers blood pressure and the stress hormone cortisol. That’s why orange juice is considered part of a healthy breakfast.
- Similarly, oatmeal is another good breakfast food. It helps induce the calm-inducing hormone serotonin. As it take longer to digest, its calming effect also lasts longer.
- Chocolates are also a great stress-relieving agent. Dark chocolate, in particular, is known to lower blood pressure, and adds to a feeling of calm.
Other great stress-relieving options that you can include in your diet are: green tea, walnuts, oysters, garlic, and grass-fed beef.