Eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty is a popular cosmetic surgical procedure among men and women to resolve tired and puffy eyes and restore a more youthful look. It reduces the surplus skin and fat in the eyelid area to make the eyes look more alert and attractive. If you are going in for eyelid surgery, there are some guidelines that need to be followed before and after the procedure to minimize risks:
- The use of medications during the two weeks prior to the procedure must be approved by your surgeon
- Follow a healthy diet to avoid any health issues at the time of procedure
- Avoid smoking two weeks prior to and after the procedure
- Make your home ready for post-operative care before your treatment.
- Make arrangements for a family member or friend to accompany you to and from the practice and for someone to be with you during the first 48 hours after the procedure
- Do not eat or drink anything the night before or after midnight the day before the surgery day – prescription medication can be taken with the knowledge of your surgeon
- Wear comfortable clothing on the surgery day and avoid makeup or jewelry
You may experience slight swelling, bruising and discomfort which subside soon. A sensation of tightness can occur but eases after the first week.
- Apply the ointment and eye drops as directed; take the prescribed medicines and use cold compress packs if advised
- Light exercises can be started at the first week, and regular exercise and workouts, normally about 2 weeks after the surgery.
- If you notice anything unusual visual changes or bleeding, contact the surgeon’s office immediately
- Return to the office for follow-ups as instructed by your physician
Going by these guidelines can help ensure that your blepharoplasty goes more smoothly.
Tummy tuck is popular among men and women as an effective body contouring option. However, many consider the treatment as an alternative for weight loss surgery, which is a misunderstanding. This advanced cosmetic treatment can help you achieve the desired body contour only if you have lost significant weight. Tummy tuck is neither a quick fix to shed extra pounds nor does it help you slim down all at once. This advanced procedure erases the traces of a sudden weight loss such as surplus stomach skin and fatty tissue, and also tightens the underlying abdominal muscles. Once you have reached your ideal weight, abdominoplasty can be the right choice to contour the tummy and improve the results achieved from your weight loss program.
It is important to understand that the treatment is not a weight loss option because a person undergoing the same should not maintain unrealistic expectations. The procedure is considered a great choice for what it can offer — a well-contoured midsection that can make women look graceful in swimsuits or other favorite outfits, while giving men a flat tummy and the athletic look they desire.
Abdominoplasty candidates are more likely to maintain the weight loss results for long, according to a study published in the February issue of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery®, the official medical journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). Out of the 20 women included in the 2013 study, about 70% candidates maintained the results a year after the procedure.
More than just shaping the middle section, good surgeons may relocate the belly button to go well with the new shape. After considerable weight loss, the skin of most people often fails to shrink back to its earlier contour and here is where this treatment can help. Considering the benefits and safety it could offer, tummy tuck surgery is becoming more and more popular as a practical body contouring technique for men and women.
VASER Hi def liposuction or Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance Liposuction is a much sought after aesthetic procedure that is recognized for the benefits it provides. In traditional liposuction, fat is removed by suctioning it out from under the skin, which can be painful and complex. VASER’s innovative body contouring technique is scoring over the traditional method in popularity in terms of the impressive results together with safety, convenience and efficacy. This ultrasound technology offers unique advantages that distinguish it from existing technologies.
Spotting the Difference
VASER body sculpting stands apart with its special features and benefits. When we say benefits, they range right from the simple and speedy operation to the longevity of the impressive outcomes it offers.
- This technique can be used to remove fat even from areas which are considered stubborn and known as “fibrous areas”. For example, the buttocks, lower abdomen, upper arms, and hips.
- It is the ideal choice for those who want a quick recovery and low bruising. A considerable amount of fat can be removed effectively with a single treatment.
- The blood loss in this process is relatively less and so is the damage to the neighbouring tissues.
- The device easily distinguishes targeted fat from the nerves, blood vessels and connective tissue and brings about outstanding results and faster healing.
- Vaser Hi Def Liposculpture can be personalized for men looking to achieve six pack abs and muscle sculpting and women who want to benefit from a well-contoured, more feminine appearance.
- Almost all body areas — abdomen, chest, hips/love handles, waist, back, thorax and arms — can be sculpted using this method.
- This minimally invasive, wide-awake procedure offers improved skin retraction, giving a natural looking appearance.
Personalized care and support from a skilled and experienced surgeon is what matters the most when it comes to experiencing optimal results. However, one thing to be noted is that ultra sound liposuction is not a weight loss alternative but a safe body contouring option to remove excess pockets of body fat. It is important to follow a healthy lifestyle after the treatment with regular exercise and a balanced diet. Only then can you hope to enjoy the excellent aesthetic results for long.
In plastic surgery, even minute changes can make a big difference. A skilled surgeon pays attention to even the smallest details to provide impressive results. Take umbilicus reconstruction in abdominoplasty, the liposuction procedure to remove excess fat from and contour the abdomen. The bellybutton is reconstructed. According to a recent report, researchers in Singapore have come up with specific, definable aesthetic features for reconstructing the umbilicus in lipoabdominoplasty.
In their paper published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal, they used special software to evaluate the vertical and horizontal positions, length and shape of 37 Playboy playmate bellybuttons. The parameters of a “beautiful” umbilicus according to the study are
- Vertical ratio (xiphoid process-lower limit of the pudendal cleft) of 46:54
- Midline horizontal position
- Length equaling 5% of that of the xiphoid process to the lower limit of the pudendal cleft
- Oval shape
- No hooding (29.8%) or superior hooding (21.6%)
The researchers point out that going by these parameters to plan the position, shape, and size of the umbilicus is a useful consideration when reconstructing the umbilicus during lipoabdominoplasty.
Abdominoplasty is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures among men and women. It provides a trimmer, well-shaped abdomen by resolving a pot belly, stretching of the abdominal area and loose skin after childbirth, and flaccidity following excessive weight loss. As the umbilicus is a key aesthetic element of abdomen, its position, shape and depth would have a significant impact on the outcome of the tummy tuck procedure and patient satisfaction.
Dubai is world’s new plastic surgery hotspot, says a CNN report. The desert city has usurped Lebanon’s position and there are three times more plastic surgeons in Dubai today than there was in 2006, according to the report. Here are some interesting points about this new plastic surgery hub:
- Fewer of the city’s residents are flying to the U.S. Brazil or Lebanon for a nip-and-tuck
- According to the Dubai Health Authority (DHA), medical tourists made up 8.7% of total health sector revenue in 2012 and many were seeking cosmetic procedures
- The founder of a leading Dubai plastic surgery consultancy expects the city’s healthcare market to grow 11.4% in two years
One surgeon reported that his waiting room is full from 7 am until midnight!
According to the Emirates Plastic Surgery Society:
- The UAE has 56 plastic surgeons per one million of the population.
- The top plastic surgery procedures for women in the UAE are liposuction, rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, facial rejuvenation, and abdominoplasty.
- The top plastic surgery procedures for men in the UAE are breast reduction, rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, facial rejuvenation, and abdominoplasty
- 15% of plastic surgery patients in the UAE are 22 and younger
- 15% of plastic surgery procedures performed in the UAE are for men
Dubai is among the most multicultural cities in the world with about 200 diverse nationalities, which could have contributed to making it the world’s new plastic surgery hub. The latest statistics also show that like in other countries, it’s not just women who are going in for cosmetic procedures – teenagers and men are part of the crowd too.
Globally, the United States leads with the most number of cosmetic surgical and non-surgical procedures. One good thing about people in the Western countries, says an expert, is that they usually go in for plastic surgery only as a last resort when options such as diet and exercise prove futile, which is the right thing to do. However, the case is different in the UAE where a person may think of liposuction whenever fat gain is noticed. This could lead to multiple treatments, which is very risky. While having plastic surgery can improve self-esteem and self-confidence, plastic surgeons need to focus on dissuading people from overindulging in these treatments.
The ASAPS Las Vegas 2015 Aesthetic Symposium is scheduled to take place during January 29-31. The goal of the program is to discuss state-of-the-art techniques in facial rejuvenation through surgical and injectable therapies to achieve optimal aesthetic outcomes and minimize complications with an emphasis on patient safety. The symposium will be a platform for the world’s foremost aesthetic faculty to discuss aging concepts, anatomy, aesthetic evaluation, surgical options, fat grafting, fillers, and complications. bodySCULPT®’s plastic surgeons Dr. Spero Theodorou and Dr. Christopher T. Chia will be giving courses at this prestigious event.
An AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice in Manhattan, New York City (NYC), bodySCULPT® offers a wide range of procedures to help men and women enhance their appearance. Dr. Theodorou and Dr. Chia utilize the latest technology and techniques to perform facial rejuvenation procedures, and with their vast experience are well-positioned to lecture at the upcoming ASAPS Aesthetic Symposium. They have expertise in the latest techniques in fat harvesting and grafting, brow lift, face lifts, fat injections, 3D imaging, blepharoplasty and advanced non-surgical facial rejuvenation procedures. Both surgeons are the teaching faculty for ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and train other surgeons in aesthetic procedures using the latest minimally-invasive body contouring technologies.
The venue of the ASAPS Las Vegas 2015 Aesthetic Symposium is Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada. Interesting events include an optional facial cadaver lab on Thursday, January 29 and a one-day “Skin Care Session” organized by the Society of Plastic Surgical Skin Care Specialists on Friday, January 30.
Yet another new year has arrived and it is high time to make some predictions for the year. 2013 witnessed numerous advancements in diverse fields, and one among them is the world of cosmetic surgery. Both men and women are now widely utilizing the possibilities of plastic surgery advancements and new modalities. Even though the correct figures for 2013 are not out yet, the figures for 2012 are amazing. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) reports that 14.6 million cosmetic plastic surgery procedures were performed during this period. Considering the top procedures performed during the year and the increase in this figure from previous years, let us have a look at the aesthetic procedures that are likely to gain popularity in the year 2014.
Breast augmentation, liposuction, tummy tuck, nose surgery, facelift and eyelid surgery are bound to be among the top 10 procedures.
- Breast augmentation: Women looking to improve their breast contour by enhancing its size and shape mostly undergo this procedure. Breast implant surgery and fat transfer breast enhancement are the popular methods utilized in established practices. Breast lift surgery may also be performed in conjunction to resolve breast sagginess and improve the outcome.
- Liposuction: Individuals looking to get rid of surplus fat deposits in areas such as the thighs, back and flanks, which are resistant to exercise and diet may choose to undergo liposuction surgery. It is the most heavily requested treatment in the world and is performed using diverse advanced modalities. Laser assisted Smartlipo Triplex, radiofrequency assisted BodyTite and ultrasound assisted VASER 2.0 are mostly utilized to perform liposuction to gift a well-contoured body.
- Nose surgery: Individuals looking to enhance the nasal appearance and improve the breathing function would go for this treatment. The procedure effectively restores skin coverage, corrects the shape, size and position of the nose, recreates normal contours and re-establishes nasal airflow.
- Facelift: Women looking to improve their facial appearance and reverse the signs of aging can choose to undergo surgical facelift and minimally invasive laser lift procedures. A surgical face lift offers a firmer neck and jaw line, resolves loose and sagging skin and tightens the facial muscles. Laser lift performed using PrecisionTx lifts the lower face, reduces wrinkles, improves skin tone and texture, and restores the youthful curve to the neck.
- Eyelid surgery: Individuals who are concerned about tired and puffy eyes and bags under the eyes can choose to undergo eyelid surgery to regain their youthful looking eyelids. The procedure involves removing extra skin, fat and muscle to improve vision and enhance the appearance of the eyes.
- Tummy tuck: Individuals concerned about excess abdominal fat despite proper diet and exercise can undergo tummy tuck procedures. The treatment effectively removes excess fat, tightens sagging skin, and repairs weak muscles to provide an abdominal profile that is firmer and more attractive. The advanced features of Smartlipo Triplex, BodyTite and VASER 2.0 are widely utilized to perform the treatment.
For the best aesthetic results, you need to locate a reputable plastic surgery practice and the services of a board-certified, trained and experienced plastic surgeon.
CoolSculpting, the non-invasive fat removal technique is creating waves among a populace craving the perfect body contour. The technology is highly advanced and allows you to get back to your routine activities immediately after the procedure. The speed and effectiveness of CoolSculpting make it superior to other techniques – it works on the principle of freezing away the fat cells to achieve the desired contour. Many celebrities are said to have undergone the procedure; moreover, it is being featured in many popular TV shows educating the people on how CoolSculpting can be utilized to meet their body contouring goals safely in minimal time.
Zeltiq’s CoolSculpting device is placed on the area from where excess fat is to be removed such as the abdomen, love handles, bra rolls and muffin-tops. Interestingly, the procedure helps to get rid of 20 to 25% of fat cells in just one session within approximately 1 to 2 hours. This FDA-cleared device selectively targets localized fat deposits without harming the surrounding tissue.
Unlike other body contouring options, this non-invasive method doesn’t involve any anesthesia or downtime. The best part is that candidates can be at ease during the procedure, engaging in any light activities.
The timer of say, 60 minutes can be set after placing the device which sets off the alarm once the procedure is completed. There would be no signs of treatment left after the procedure such as incisions or scars and the skin gets back to normal very quickly. The melted fat is removed naturally from the body through the normal metabolic process. A single treatment itself gives impressive, noticeable results and you may go for additional procedure for more fat removal in future if necessary.
This non-invasive procedure helps you achieve the body of your dreams. Make it a point to undergo body contouring via CoolSculpting only at a reliable and reputable plastic surgery practice that offers this revolutionary treatment.
Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day or BRA Day USA is celebrated each year in October to promote education, awareness and access regarding post-mastectomy breast reconstruction. This year it will be observed on October 15, 2014 with the theme “BRAve Face” to recognize the various faces of breast cancer and the unique voyage of each person facing a breast cancer diagnosis. Last year, the theme was “Team Approach” to breast cancer care. This was mainly meant to highlight the necessity for all breast cancer care physicians to collaborate to offer the patient the best treatment plan.
BRA Day USA is a group effort by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, The Plastic Surgery Foundation, plastic surgeons specializing in breast surgery, medical device industry representatives, nurse navigators, and breast cancer support groups. The events coordinated would include lectures, advertising campaigns, Q&A sessions, flash mobs, gala fundraisers, and community events.
Research studies reveal that all women are not made aware of their breast reconstruction options during their breast cancer diagnosis. All women need to know the choices they have. With this yearly observation of BRA day, there is surely a better chance of more and more women getting to know about breast reconstruction procedures. Restoring the breasts that are symbolic of femininity will surely restore self-esteem and confidence in women who’ve had their breasts removed. The campaign would also make treating surgeons also aware of the need to provide valuable info regarding the choices available to their patients.
Some of the findings of the studies have really raised the significance of such campaigns. These include:
- 89% of women want to see the breast reconstruction surgery results before undergoing cancer treatment.
- Only 23% of women have awareness about the wide range of breast reconstruction options available.
- The quality of outcomes that can be expected from the treatment is familiar to only 22% of the women.
- Only a mere 19% of women know that the timing of breast cancer treatment and the timing of their decision to undergo the same have a great impact on their options and results.
The annual BRA Day USA campaign will surely prove a blessing for women who may be experiencing the devastating effects of breast cancer. Anybody can become an affiliate of the event by organizing an event in their area.
Coolsculpting is a safe, non-invasive body contouring option that is extending its reach to an increasing number of men and women who are utilizing its immense possibilities. This procedure effectively reduces fat from hard-to-treat areas such as the thighs, thus fixing saddle bags non-surgically. People who have benefited from the procedure are now confidently coming forward to discuss its plus points.
This short procedure can be performed within minimal time of say just 2 hours. Coolsculpting involves applying the device on the area to be treated, which freezes the fat cells there. No suction is required as the excess fat cells are removed through the body’s normal metabolic process. No surrounding skin is affected and a specialized gel pad protects the skin. A highly impressive body sculpting option, its distinguishing features include:
- No anesthesia or downtime
- Short and safe procedure
- Feel comfortable during the procedure (can even engage in light activities)
- No needles, surgical incisions and scars
One great advantage women associate with the procedure is that they can wear their favorite outfits and feel really good about their ‘superb’ new looks. Some of them even noted some amount of weight loss, even though it is not a weight loss alternative. People who don’t want to undergo invasive surgery to meet their body contouring goals can very well opt for this advanced pain-free option.
Not only thighs, but areas such as the arms, back, love handles, bra rolls, muffin-tops and abdomen can be treated using this procedure. Inspired by this procedure, some may try out ice packs at home which won’t work. Always follow the advice of a skilled and experienced surgeon to experience the best results.
CoolSculpting Zeltiq is being used at reliable plastic surgery practices to help individuals meet their body contouring goals without affecting their busy schedule. This is because soon after the treatment, they can get back to their normal routines. A one time treatment gives noticeable results and additional procedures can be taken up for more fat loss in two to four months after the initial procedure.